Natural and mineral resources of Madhya Pradesh
Mppsc Prelims Paper 1 Unit 3
- Madhya Pradesh is India’s Seventh mineral rich state,It has different categories of minerals such as coal,limestone,manganese,dolomite,fireclay,slate,pyrophyllite,copper etc.
- It ranks third after Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh in mineral production in India.
- Madhya Pradesh was the first rank in undivided Madhya Pradesh(Before 1st November 2000).
- Madhya Pradesh produces 23 major and minor minerals.
- The present government of Madhya Pradesh has initiated private participation in mineral exploration, for example Birla Group is going to explore diamonds from Chhatarpur district(Buxwaha tehsil).
- The first Mineral Policy of Madhya Pradesh came in 1995, and the last Mineral Policy was constituted in the year 2010.
- Madhya Pradesh mineral Development Corporation was founded on 19th January 1962 its headquarter is in Bhopal.
- Madhya Pradesh minor mineral acts was passed in 1996.
- The deposits of coal bed methane were discovered in Sohagpur Shahdol.
Geological structure of Madhya Pradesh
- The geological structure of the state is diversified,it has various categories of rocks such as Archaean & proterozoic(It covers 45% area of a state), Deccan trap (covers 38% area of state).
- The archean are mainly of Bundelkhand granite and sakoli / sausar group rocks. Sakoli group of rocks mainly known for Reserve of manganese ore In state.
- The next category of rock is proterozoic rocks, it includes the Vindhyan,Bijawar and Gwalior group of rocks.Diamond is found in these rocks.
- 10% of the state’s Rocks are Gondwana group of rocks.
- The minerals are categorised in two ways metallic minerals and nonmetallic Minerals.
Important mineral resources of Madhya Pradesh
- Diamond is an identity of state moreover Madhya Pradesh is the only state in India who produces diamond.
- Diamond is deposited in Vindhyan group of rocks in Madhya Pradesh primarily in:-
Kimberlite pipe – in majhgawan and hinauta,Conglomerate – Itwa and Jhiri and in alluvial soil.
- The National Mineral Development Corporation has been exploring the Diamond since 1958.
- Important mines of diamond in Madhya Pradesh – In Panna — Hinauta, Majhgawan, Ram Kheri. Chhatarpur – Buder (Angor project)project.
- Buder Project :- Buder project is in Buxwaha Tehsil of Chhatarpur district, It is assumed that it has seven times higher diamonds than Panna.
In 2004 Australian company Rio Tinto was given the exploration rights however,the agreement was ended and presently the exploration right is transferred to Birla Group.
- Coal is an organic Fossil mineral, primarily found in the sedimentary rocks.It is also known as Black Diamond. The highest Reserve of coal in the world is in the USA, however the highest production is in China.
- Madhya Pradesh is fourth in coal production.
- The coal in India was first explored in 1774 in Raniganj,West Bengal.
- Madhya Pradesh has a tertiary category of coal.
- The coal exploration in the state is performed by western coalfield Limited (WCL) and South Eastern coalfield Limited (SECL).
- Thickest coal layer of India is found in Singrauli (135 meter).
- Sohagpur (Shahdol) is the largest coal Reserve of the state.
Coal regions of Madhya Pradesh
1.Madhya Bharat Coal Region
- Satpura Coal Region
Madhya Bharat coal region
- District – Shahdol Singrauli Umariya Sidhi.
- This coal region lies mainly in Son,Johila,Mohar and Mahanadi river Valley region.
- Important regions – Umariya, Korar,Johila,Mohar sub valley,Singrouli,Sohagpur.
Satpura coal region
- Districts – Chhindwara,Betul,Hoshangabad,Narsinghpur.
- Narmada,Tawa,Pench,Kahan river valley.
- Important mines – Damua,Jamai,chandameta,Parasia,mohpani,Pathar Kheda.
- Copper was the first metal used by humans.It found in Igneous and Metamorphic rock.
- It is a good conductor of electricity.
- Found in – Malanjkhand – Baihar Tehsil of Balaghat,The exploration is done by Hindustan copper Limited.
- Malanjkhand is one of the largest mines for copper in India.
- Other locations – Sheetlapani (Balaghat), Hoshangabad Jabalpur Narsinghpur Sagar.
- World’s largest copper producing area is Chile.
- After the partition of state Madhya Pradesh had a huge loss in iron ore reserves.
- In Madhya Pradesh it is primarily found in hydrated igneous rocks of dharwad age.
- Found In – Mainly in Mahakaushal region of Madhya Pradesh.
- Districts – Jabalpur(mainly), Bijori,Kanwara,Sumra,Dharampur, Gwalior,Sagar,Tikamgarh,Dewas,Betul.
- Except Gondwana rock, limestone is generally found in all types of sedimentary rocks of state.
- It is generally found as calcium carbonate.
- The limestone of Madhya Pradesh is of good quality moreover Madhya Pradesh is the third largest producer of limestone.
- Found in – Mundwara (Katni),Jabalpur,Satna,Rewa,Morena,Shivpuri,Guna.
- Manganese is an important mineral in the metal industry primarily found in sedimentary rocks of the Dharwar age.
- Madhya Pradesh is the third largest producer of manganese in India.
- It is primarily used in the steel industry.
- Found in – Mainly Balaghat – (Mines are – Barveli,Netra,Katangjhiri,Ukva,Tirodi,Sakuri),Chhindwara,Jhabua,Dewas, Khargone,Sidhi, Seoni,Sihora(Jabalpur).
- Fibrous mineral found in igneous rocks.
- Found in – Jhabua,Alirajpur(Jobat), Betul,Dewas,Mandsaur,Neemuch.
- Bauxite is an ore of aluminium, when an ore has above 40% aluminium then it is known as Bauxite.
- It is primarily used in aeroplane industry.
- Found in – Anuppur,Dindori,Mandla(Mainly),Balaghat,Katni,Jabalpur,Rewa,Satna.
- Found in Dewas Chhatarpur Jabalpur Sidhi.
- It is mainly found in Salichauka Narsinghpur,And Jabalpur Katni Shahdol.
- It is mainly found in Kadapa Rock of Gwalior,And Balaghat Chhindwara.
- 10 ton is used in in bulb filament it is is a heavy and rigid mineral moreover its melting point is high.
- Found in – Agargaon (Hoshangabad).
- Mainly found in Betul.
Other minerals found in Madhya Pradesh
|Lead||Jabalpur Hoshangabad Shivpuri Datia|
|Feldspar||Jabalpur Chhindwara Shahdol|
|Marble||Chhindwara Jabalpur Gwalior|
|Corundum||Natural ore of aluminium Sidhi – Peepra & Parkota(Mines).|
|Gold||Sidhi Katni Shahdol|
|Pyrite||Tikamgarh Dewas Jhabua Shivpuri|
|Ochre||Satna Panna Gwalior Jabalpur|
Natural Resources of Madhya Pradesh :- Natural resources of state can be read from following articles of this website
- Forest of madhya pradesh – https://mppsc.org/forest-of-madhya-pradesh/
- Forest produce of Madhya Pradesh – https://mppsc.org/forest-produce-of-madhya-pradesh/
- WildLife of Madhya Pradesh – https://mppsc.org/wildlife-of-madhya-pradesh/