Mountains and mountain ranges of Madhya Pradesh
MPPSC prelims unit 3 topic 1
Madhya Pradesh has mainly three mountain ranges :-
Vindhyachal mountain, Satpura mountain and Rajpipla mountain series.All mountain ranges of Madhya Pradesh are block mountain category, moreover both the ranges are adjacent with Narmada Son rift Valley.
Vindhyachal Mountain :-
- It is the oldest mountain series of the state and situated in the middle of Madhya Pradesh. It’s easternmost Hill is Kaimur and westernmost is Kakrabardi hills.
- Composition – Redstone ,Quartz and Silica.
- Situated Northern side of Narmada river.
- Extension – West to Eastern Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh,Bihar.
- Districts in Madhya Pradesh – Bhopal,Raisen,Sehore,Dhar,Damoh,Katni,Shahdol.
- Soil – Black and Mountainious Soil.
- Rivers – Ken,Tons,Betwa.
- Average Rainfall – 125 cm.
- Forest – Mainly Teak and Tendu.
- Minrals – Lime Stone,Coal,Geru.
- Industrial Areas – Pithampur (Dhar),Mandeep (Raisen),Bhopal.
- Major Crops – Gram,Wheat,Soyabean.
- Tourists spots – Amarkantak,Bhimbethka,Sanchi.
- East to West hills of vindhyachal mountain :-
Kaimur hills — Bhander hills — Udaygiri hills — Bhimbethka hills– Janapav hills — Kakrabardi hills
- Kaimur hills – Origin point of Tons river.
- Janapav hills – Origin of Chambal river.
- Kakrabardi hills – Origin of Shipra river.
- Bhopal is situated on Vindhyachal mountain & situated on Seven Hills.
Satpura Mountain Range :-
- Situated in Southern side of Narmada river.
- It is parallel to the Vindhyachal mountain range.
- In Madhya Pradesh it starts from Amarkantak to Rajpipla mountain range; some portion of the Rajpipla series is in Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Amarkantak Hills are in Eastern margin of Satpura mountain range from where Narmada Son and Johila river are Originals.
- The highest peak of Madhya Pradesh Dhupgarh (1350meter) is in this range.
- Tawa river originates from the Mahadev series.
- Pancmarhi is situated on Mahadev range of satpura series.
Rajpipla Mountain Range :-
- Western margin of Madhya Pradesh which is up to Burhanpur pass.
- It has the following Four Hills :-
- Tapti river originates from these Hills.
- These four Hills are situated on the bank of Narmada and Tapti river.