Agriculture Based Industries In Madhya Pradesh
Mppsc Prelims Unit 3
The industry is secondary sector of economy, and Madhya Pradesh is an agrarian state, where around 72% population lives in rural areas and their primary means of livelihood is agriculture, on the other hand Madhya Pradesh also rich in mineral resources and has energy surplus, out of all the possibilities we are not able to develop industrial sector of a state efficiently, however the present government is making tremendous efforts to develop the same such as One Window clearance scheme, make in India and make in Madhya Pradesh program, developing infrastructure, progressive industrial policy, investors meet Summits, improving human resource base, etc..
Industries of Madhya Pradesh can be categorised in Six category
- Agriculture & livestock based industries.
- Mineral based industries.
- Forest based industries.
- Electrical and electronic based industries.
- Chemical and medicine based industries.
- Government Enterprises (PSUs)
In this article we are going to discuss only about the agriculture based industries in Madhya Pradesh.
Agriculture based industries in Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh is an agrarian state where around 69% population is engaged in agriculture and allied activities, agriculture provides raw material to various industries. Moreover, our state has huge potential for food processing industries as we rank first in various crops, such as oilseeds, pulses, gram garlic wheat etc.
Sugar industry :- Sugarcane is an important cash crop of Madhya Pradesh by which the sugar is made in the state.
- The first sugar factory of Madhya Pradesh was installed in Jaora, Ratlam in 1934.
- Other sugar mills in Madhya Pradesh – There are various sugar mills in Madhya Pradesh, presently private Sugar Mills are functional however some previous important Sugar Mills are- han
- Bhopal sugar mill – Sehore
- Dabra sugar mill – Dabra,Gwalior
- Seth Govindram sugar mill – Ujjain
Oil and Vanaspati ghee (vegetable oil) industries :- Madhya Pradesh ranks first in oil seed production specially soyabean, moreover it also produces mustard, castor oil, and lentils.Thus there are various oil industries which are being developed in different regions of Madhya Pradesh.
- Malwa plateau, Narmada Valley, Chambal Valley and Central India plateau is known for oil seed production, In these regions around 63 industries of this sector are functional.
- The maximum number of industries of This sector are in Malwa region especially in Dewas district.
- The castor oil factory is in Pithampur, Dhar.
- Total Vanaspati ghee industry in Madhya Pradesh is seven.
- Asia’s largest soybean plant is in Ujjain.
Cotton textile and Khadi industries :- This industry is the largest industry of a state, Madhya Pradesh ranks third in cotton textile production(after Maharashtra and Gujarat).
- Most cotton textile industries are in Indore, Ujjain and Gwalior districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- The first cotton textile industry was established in Burhanpur in 1906 – 07, and Malwa United mill in 1907 – 08.
- Indore is the largest cotton textile centre in the state.
- In order to promote Khadi in the state, the state government has established Khadi and Gram Udyog Board.
- Burhanpur is known as the city of Weavers while Khargone and Khandwa are known as the Golden district for cotton production.
Silk industry :- It is an important Agroforestry based industry of Madhya Pradesh.
- In order to promote Silk production in the state the Silk Directorate was established in 1984 in Bhopal.
- The artificial fibre factory is in Nagda Ujjain.
- A total of 26 districts are involved in silk production in Madhya Pradesh.
Woolen industry :- Pithampur Dhar and Malanpur Bhind is an important Centre for woolen industries.
Synthetic fibre cloth manufacturing industry :- Synthetic fibre mill is in Nagda Ujjain, The Other centres are mainly in Malwa region.
Jute industry :- Jute industries are in Amlai, Shahdol and in Satna district.
- Dairy form – Babai, Hoshangabad
- Fertilizer unit – Bina, Sagar
- Oil and animal fodder unit – Morena
- Bacterial fertilizer unit – Bhopal
Agribusiness and Food Processing Industry :- Food processing is an emerging employmentable sector not only in Madhya Pradesh but in India as well.India and Madhya Pradesh has huge food processing potential, as majority of its population is working in this field moreover it can not only generate the employment in rural areas but also so it can develop the entire rural economy of the country.
Madhya Pradesh is a centrally located state in India and there are plenty of investment opportunities available for a global investor, as there are 11 Agro climatic zones in Madhya Pradesh, and most Horticultural crops are available for a longer period, for example tomato is harvested for almost 8 to 10 months in the state.
- Madhyapradesh hosts 7 food parks and 2 Mega Food parks.The two Mega Food parks are Indus Mega Food Park Khargone and Avantee Mega Food Park Dewas.
- 7 food parks are as follows – Malanpur Bhind, Barodi Shivpuri, Maneri Mandla, Borgaon Chhindwara, Babai Hoshangabad, Powarkheda Hoshangabad, Nimrani Khargone, Jaggakhedi Mandsaur.
- Other than food parks Madhya Pradesh has various smaller units in different districts such as – Rice mills in Balaghat, Fruit pulp factory in Mandideep Raisen, Potato chips factory in Pithampur Dhar Mandideep, Malanpur Bhopal and Indore.
Some important facts related with industries in Madhya Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh ranks 7 in industrial development in India.
- The industrial sector of Madhya Pradesh contributes around 14 % of the state’s total income, and around 28% in the GDP.
- Madhya Pradesh has passed industrial promotion policies in 2004, 2010, and 2014.The industrial promotion policy 2014 has been amended in 2018.
- The projects above the investment of 10 crore, Who provide at least 1000 employment are considered as Mega projects.
- The districts of Madhya Pradesh are divided into categories in terms of industries – developed districts, and underdeveloped districts (further categorised in group A, group B, and Group C).
- Industrially developed districts are 6 – Bhopal, Indore, Jabalpur, Gwalior, Katni, Ujjain.
- National Fertilizers Factory is in Guna (Run by Fertilizers Corporation of India).
- Madhya Pradesh Khadi And Gramodyog Board was founded in 1960-61 in Bhopal.
- Madhya Pradesh has a total 33 industrial development centres out of these six are recognised by the government of India.These are – Pithampur – Dhar, Meghnagar – Jhabua, Malanpur – Bhind, Maneri – Mandla, Pilukhedi – Rajgarh, Purena – Panna.
- The Industrial Development Corporation in Madhya Pradesh was formed in September 1965 in Bhopal.
- Madhya Pradesh Industrial Corporation formed in 1961 in Bhopal. Madhya Pradesh industrial Corporation runs 12 Mrignayani Emporium, Who sells indigenously developed products related with handicrafts, ornaments, Chanderi and Maheshwari sarees etc.. These Emporiums are in – in Bhopal, Indore, Jabalpur, Rewa, Gwalior, Ujjain, Raipur, Durg, Kolkata,New Delhi, Jaipur and Udaipur.
- Madhya Pradesh Laghu Udyog Nigam established on December 28 1961 in Bhopal.
- Madhya Pradesh Finance Corporation was established in 1955 in Indore.
- Madhya Pradesh Silk Federation was founded in November 1997 in Bhopal.
- The Handicraft directorate is in Bhopal.
- Madhya Pradesh Agro Industries Corporation’s headquarter is in Bhopal.
- MP Agro Morarji fertilizer Limited is in Itarsi Hoshangabad.
Join Us @ Telegramhttps://t.me/mppsc_content